Every March in Iberia Parish there is a Festival of the Live Oaks that celebrates their beauty. It has inspired many authors to write stories about how deep their roots run. Recently while driving under the canopy of the live oaks that line the main street, I noticed a for sale sign next to the Teche Motel. I believe in the 1950’s era places like this were called Tourist Cabins. I noticed the old sign advertising their name. It was worn out with its neon lights half lit. I wondered if James Lee Burke slept here and maybe wrote a couple of chapters of the Dave Robicheaux novels. I read somewhere that great story tellers research the areas they write about. So, it could be possible that Mr. Burke knocked on the office door early one morning and the night clerk opening the hatch said what do you want, in her best aggravated tone. I drove away laughing but I really do wake up way too early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARSH ON FIRE

SIlVER TEA SET

Rachel Rachel